None of us wants to harm the environment, yet with our modern lifestyles we simply can't help but create more than our share of carbon emissions. That's why the Earthville Network has established a carbon offset program in which you can sponsor tree plantings in India to help reduce your net carbon footprint. Click here to plant a tree now!
There are many benefits to planting trees. Here are a few of the main benefits of planting trees as a carbon sequestration strategy:
- An average tree, when mature, can sequester (absorb and contain) carbon dioxide at an average rate of 48 pounds (22kg) per year.
- An average tree can also return enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to support two human beings.
- The relatively low cost of tree planting makes it one of the most cost-effective carbon squestration methods available.
- Tree planting combats deforestation and erosion and promotes biodiversity.
Some of the major benefits to planting trees in India:
- Due to industrial pollution, India has relatively high concentrations of airborne carbon, so trees can make a bigger difference.
- India's temperate climate makes it an ideal candidate for carbon sequestration to have a positive impact on the environment.
- The cost of planting trees in India is far lower than in most other industrialized countries, so we can plant more for the same dollar.
- Earthville already has projects, partners and volunteers in India, so we can oversee the project and ensure its success.
How It Works
Simply visit our plant a tree page at the Earthville Market and enter the number of trees you'd like to sponsor. The cost is only $2 (USD) per tree. Even better, you'll be helping to employ Indian villagers whose families will benefit from the income. The more trees we plant, the more green jobs we can create while replacing carbon with oxygen.
For more information on Earthville Orchards, click here.